After coming off a seemingly endless winter, there are very few aromas more refreshing than freshly cut grass or sizzling BBQs. As the temperature steadily climbs, and trees fill in with leaves, Mother Nature begins to reveal her true beauty for all to see and enjoy. As such, the general mood seems to lighten, and people are able join their friends on restaurant patios and shop from stores whose display windows are lined with mannequins in bathing suits and flip- flops. However, while many people see theses instances as marking the beginning of summer, for the Ottawa communications community, they also mark the end of another successful season for IABC.
On Wednesday June 18, 2014, IABC Ottawa was able to celebrate this year’s stellar season of programming at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and Social hosted at the Heart & Crown in the Byward Market. The evening began with casual networking over hors d’oeuvres and beverages, before outgoing president Jennifer Birch began the AGM address. Some of this year’s highlights include:
- The Ottawa Chapter took home seven Chapter Management awards at the annual Leadership Institute in New Orleans, including International Chapter of the Year and Large Chapter of the Year.
- Hosted six PD sessions covering topics from Employee Engagement and Canadian SEO to Public Opinion and Intranet Collaboration.
- Held two Senior Communicator focus groups and ‘Ask Me Anything’ sessions, which produced short term and long term objectives.
- Averaged around 179 downloads for each The Voice podcast that was syndicated with other IABC chapters around the world.
- Revamped The Voice podcast and our e-newsletter, by giving them new looks thanks to Character Creative.
- Hosted another successful Excel Awards, which honored 25 award winners including Jim Watson, who was named our Communicator of the Year, and Max Keeping who was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award for his work at embracing the evolution of communication to help the community. Furthermore, Barb MacDonald was the first living IABC Ottawa member to win the Master Communicator award from IABC Canada (the highest honor given by IABC Canada).
- Launched a mentorship program pilot.
- Hosted two student events aimed at helping engage budding communicators through our student representatives at Algonquin College, Carleton University and Univserity of Ottawa.
- Honored not one, but two Volunteers of the Year – Meaghan Quinn & John Finnigan Lin
Following the recap of this year’s events and achievements, and financial review, incoming president Tara Lapointe introduced the new 2014-2015 Board slate, though we still have seats available! If you’re interested in joining the Board or becoming a volunteer, click here for Board Member opportunities and information or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
IABC Ottawa would like to thank everyone for their support this past year, as we look forward to the many events to come in the upcoming season. Have a great summer and we hope to see everyone in the fall!