Organization: IABC Ottawa (ottawa.iabc.com)
Position: VP, Finance
Category: Volunteer, ~5-10 hours per month
Direct Reports: 2
Required: Immediate start
International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) is a chapter based, member-led and member driven non-profit organization providing a professional network for 15,500+ business communications and marketing professionals in over 80+ countries. In Ottawa, the Chapter brings together communications, marketing and creative professionals from private, public and not-for-profit organizations, helping our members to grow in their career and succeed in their jobs.
The VP, Finance ensures (with the assistance of paid bookkeeping support) that IABC Ottawa operates in a fiscally responsible manner. S/He oversees the development and approval of Chapter’s annual operating budget; maintains bank accounts, records, credit/debit cards and check delivery; and monitors board member expenses and associated processes to ensure adherence to policies and ethical use of association funds. In addition, working closely with other VPs and Directors, the VP, Finance supports the development of Chapter’s revenue streams via Sponsorship, Jobline, and Professional Development/Membership.
- Work with other VP’s and Directors to develop the annual operating budget for IABC Ottawa
- Research, propose, and implement financial policies that guarantee long-term financial viability of the chapter, and ethical use of Chapter’s funds
- Work with the bookkeeper to ensure that Chapter’s books are accurate; prepare/present financial statements at the monthly Board Meetings
- Support the Director of Sponsorship Development (reporting to VP, Finance) in developing sponsorship funds for the Chapter
- Support the Director of Jobline (reporting to VP, Finance) in developing and implementing strategies to grow Jobline revenue
- Assist other Board members with financial decision making
- Active interest in the marketing and communications sector
- Familiarity, experience and/or interest in IABC Ottawa and its mandate
- Enthusiastic self-starter, fast learner with meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills and the ability to parlay numbers into meaningful information
- Preferred, but not required: voluntary or paid experience in financial administration (e.g. experience with setting/approving/maintaining budgets and financial policies; familiarity with financial statements; etc.)
- Interest in personal development through skills based volunteer opportunities
- Willingness to make a long-term commitment (1 year +) and a personal investment in the role
- IABC Member (Student Members are welcome!)
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com referencing the title of this job description.