What is certification? Why get certified?
Earning professional communication certification demonstrates that you have a deep level of knowledge and expertise within the profession. Certification validates your level of experience within the profession, keeps your skills up to date, and serves to give you a competitive advantage over others in the profession – plus, it feels pretty darn good to pass that exam and get those letters after your name!
IABC provides communications professionals with the great opportunity to become certified thanks to The Global Communication Certification
Write the certification exam in Ottawa!
This year, on May 25th, IABC Ottawa is hosting two exams:
- The Communication Management Professional (CMP): For generalist, specialist and other business communicators established in their careers as managers and looking to demonstrate their competence.
- Strategic Communication Management Professional (SCMP): For highly skilled business communicators practiced in providing strategic communication advice and counseling to an organization’s leadership.
Start your application now!
All communications professionals can take the certification exam, however, IABC members receive a significant discount and access to IABC resources to help study for the exam.
Those wishing to take the exam must first apply and be approved. For the application to be successful, GCCC requires applicants to describe their education, training, and experience in the communications field.
Communicators who would like to write the exam in Ottawa must keep in mind two dates:
- April 26th, 2019: Deadline to submit an application to prove your eligibility
- May 25th, 2019: Ottawa exam date
Drop by and join the study group!
When: May 1st, May 8th, May 15th
Time: 6:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Where: Ottawa Public Library
Communication Management Professional (CMP)
This certification is for generalist, specialist and other business communicators established in their careers as managers and looking to demonstrate their competence. You must have:
- Eight years of experience and 40 hours of training or
- Six years of experience, two years of education, and 40 hours of training
Strategic Communication Management Professional (SCMP)
This certification is for highly skilled, senior business communicators counseling to an organization’s leadership. You must demonstrate:
- Eleven years of experience and 20 hours of training and
- Provide a letter of recommendation from mentees or an organization for which the candidate has done pro bono work addressing senior level contributions to communications