Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI)
Better data. Better decisions. Healthier Canadians.
CIHI currently has an exciting full time opportunity for a Media Relations Specialist in Ottawa or Toronto
Who we are
For over 20 years, CIHI has been a recognized leader in Canada’s health care system. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization and together with our partners, we provide essential information on Canada’s health systems, enabling decisions that lead to healthier Canadians. CIHI is recognized as an exceptional place to work that embraces diversity, respect, integrity, collaboration and innovation.
At CIHI, we recognize what matters to our employees. Some of the benefits of working at CIHI include:
- Competitive salary structure
- Flexible benefits program from your first day on the job
- HOOPP enrollment
- Work-life balance
- Career Planning Program
- Learning and Professional Development Program
As a valued member of the CIHI team, your work will have a pivotal role in the evolution of Canada’s Health Care system. We are an organization comprised of industry thought leaders who are passionate about health data and want to make a difference in the health care field. Our national team of over 700 highly dedicated professionals are a critical element of meeting our strategic goals and fostering a fun, innovative and engaging working experience.
About the Role
The Media Relations Specialist plays a key role in the corporate media relations program which entails developing an annual media relations plan that reflects the strategic plan; drafting media material; developing media strategies (including development of key messages and pitches); providing analysis of media coverage; proactively developing and maintaining relationships with journalists and other key influencers, coordinating and leading the preparation of spokespeople and ensuring that processes and deadlines are met.
We are looking for individuals who can contribute to:
- Developing annual media relations plan
- Advising internal CIHI clients on media strategies
- Writing media releases, advisories, pitches and other related materials
- Responsible for first line media contact by responding to media requests directly or by working with the appropriate individuals within CIHI for response
- Identifying and initiating contact with media for each news release, developing dedicated media strategies for CIHI’s report releases, and maintains positive working relationships with key reporters throughout the year
- Implementing an influencer strategy by identifying key external influencers
- Conducting media training and interview preparation for CIHI spokespeople, including the development of key messages, questions and answers, etc.
- Writing letters to the editor, opinion editorials or other responses to current events of relevance on behalf of CIHI, when appropriate Conducting environmental scans, monitors media coverage, and prepares media analysis reports for CIHI’s senior management and internal clients
- Organizing news conferences and media events, and participates in the organization of other stakeholder events
- When appropriate, acts as CIHI spokesperson in both official languages
Knowledge and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in communications, journalism, or similar field.
- Five years or more years related experience, particularly in media relations.
- Strong relationships with existing Canadian media an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Fluency in both official languages (written and oral) is required.
- Ability to meet travel requirements.
At CIHI we are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. Part of this commitment includes arranging accommodations to ensure an equitable opportunity to participate in the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
To find out more about this role and other exciting opportunities visit our website at www.cihi.ca and check out our “Careers” section.