Media Relations and Social Media Specialist (Maternity Leave)
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Media Relations and Social Media Specialist is responsible for the planning, development and implementation of a range of English and French media relations and social media services that present CFI-funded research and its impact on the life of Canadians in a positive and informative light. The incumbent is also responsible for working with media relations staff at all client institutions to enhance the coverage of CFI-enabled research, as well as for responding to general enquiries from media and the public.
Please note that we welcome the possibility of temporary secondments or assignments from
qualified candidates working in the research or post-secondary sectors.
- Draft and edit news releases, advisories, backgrounders, media plans and other written media materials
- Work with the Director to maintain the CFI’s corporate media relations strategy to ensure they align with communications activities
- Coordinate media interviews with CFI spokespeople in a timely fashion
- Collaborate with Events Coordinator to lead the media relations and social media aspects of special events
- Respond to media and public enquiries in a timely fashion, recommending appropriate course of action, suggesting responses and briefing spokespeople, when necessary
- Draft backgrounders, Q&As and media lines
- Pitch and promote story ideas to journalists to boost coverage of CFI-funded facilities, and the researchers and research taking place in them
- Cultivate and maintain productive relationships with Canadian and international journalists in the daily, broadcast, online, business, research and university media
- Develop and maintain productive working relationships with a network of media relations personnel in institutions, government and other related organizations
- Monitor and report on media relations metrics to assess the effectiveness of media relations activities
- Develop content for the CFI’s digital channels (Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook) that aligns with the CFI’s priorities and deepen engagement, interactions and relationships with key audiences
- Plan and implement social media promotional campaigns, including paid promotional opportunities
- Stay up-to-date on social media industry standards and make recommendations for the implementation of new tools and tactics, where necessary
- Monitor and report on social media metrics to assess the effectiveness of media relations and social media activities
- Provide written, editorial and logistical support for External Relations and Communications activities and projects, as required
- Prepare reports and perform other duties, as required
The incumbent shall have:
- A proven track record of pitching news stories and opinion pieces to Canadian media outlets.
- Extensive knowledge and contacts in both French and English media.
- Excellent interviewing skills and strong news sense.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English and French and an ability to work effectively in a bilingual environment.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of current affairs and ability to frame CFI media activities in political and economic contexts.
- Familiarity with trends in Canadian research, innovation and business.
- Experience working within a dynamic and highly motivated team.
- Ability to work both as a member of a team and independently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent research skills.
- Extensive knowledge of social media platforms, trends and technologies, including success metrics.
- In-depth knowledge of dissemination channels and aggregators.
- Outstanding interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Excellent time and project management skills, as well as organizational skills.
- Sound judgement and effective use of necessary discretion when dealing with the media and the public.
- Proven track record of working effectively under deadline pressure.
- The position is full-time.
- This role can be done remotely and may include some travel.
- Extended periods of time on the telephone and at the computer requiring long periods seated.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience
Please send your CV and a covering letter by end of day on May 9, 2021 to:
Manager, Human Resources
Canada Foundation for Innovation, 230 Queen Street, Suite 450
Ottawa ON K1P 5E4
We would like to thank all candidates who apply. Please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The Canada Foundation for Innovation supports official languages principles, and respects Ontario’s Accessibility Standard for Customer Service policy. The CFI is committed to the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion. In all our activities, we recognize that a breadth of perspectives, skills and experiences contributes to excellence in research.
We would like to thank all candidates who apply. Please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Visit our website for more information about the CFI.