Canadian Fuels Association – Senior Advisor, Communications
Come and join our team! This is an exciting new position that provides a great opportunity to leverage your communications experience and play a role in the future of transportation fuels. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment and enjoy working in all facets of communications, this could be the role for you.
The Canadian Fuels Association is an association of major Canadian companies involved in the refining, distribution and marketing of transportation fuels and other petroleum products. The Association’s work focuses on achieving public policy that serves the long term interests of Canadian consumers and the transportation fuels industry. Canadian Fuels’ work emphasizes informed environment, health and safety policy development that recognizes the current and future importance of petroleum fuels to Canada’s economy, competitiveness and Canadians’ standard of living. The Association operates through offices in Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto and Calgary. This position is based in the Association’s National Office in Ottawa.
Reporting directly to the Association’s Director Communications & Outreach, and working with member
company representatives, the successful candidate will be responsible for assisting in the development of Association communication strategy and approach, and the day-to-day implementation and oversight of the Association’s communications plans and activities. The successful candidate will be required to be fluent in and conduct business in both official languages.
• Participate in the development of and provide input to Association communications strategy and
• Identify/create opportunities that support the goals and objectives of the Association.
• Support the development of and follow appropriate communications policies, procedures and
processes, and relevant success metrics.
• Prepare and execute project-specific communications plans including relevant success metrics.
• Develop and produce specific communications products.
• Manage association social media presence and social media monitoring.
• Manage the Association’s website, working with relevant staff to ensure the accuracy of content.
• Create and distribute the association’s monthly newsletter.
• Create and edit content for various communications channels and products including reports,
presentations, blogs posts, newsletters, social media posts, website, editorials, advertising and
press releases, for approval of the Director.
• Coordinate the translation of all communications.
• Maintain and update the communication editorial calendar on an ongoing basis.
• Perform media monitoring.
• Coordinate the logistics for a range of outreach events.
• Maintain the Association’s subscription list.
• Participates in and/or attends industry functions or meetings as required.
• Provides communications advice and guidance to Association staff.
Qualifications and Key Attributes:
Post-secondary degree in the field of communications or journalism with 5+ years of experience in
communications, preferably in an association setting, or, a diploma in a related field with 8+ years of
experience in communications. The role requires well developed communications skills, and an ability
to work independently and as a member of high performance team in a dynamic environment to deliver
high quality work, often under tight deadlines.
• A critical and creative thinker with a thorough and current understanding of communication
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the planning and execution of communications
products and services, including social media management.
• A high level of proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), MailChimp, contact
management databases, and social media platforms.
• Strong organization, project management, time-management and problem solving skills.
• Ability to multi-task and work to tight deadlines.
• Strong written and verbal communications skills in English and French.
• Media and/or government relations experience.
• Social media management and content development experience.
• Meticulous attention to detail.
• Reliability, creativity, integrity, sensibility and a sense of humour.
• Confident team player with strong interpersonal skills.
• Good initiative and judgment.