Manager, Communications & Digital Media – Genome Canada
Genome Canada is looking for a dynamic and creative communications professional to join our team. The successful candidate will be responsible for digital communications leadership and media relations in support of Genome Canada’s corporate strategy aimed at strengthening our position as a leading Canadian research organization delivering world class science and innovation solutions to global challenges.
Reporting to the Director, Communications, responsibilities include development and execution of strong content strategy-driven digital communications to support Genome Canada’s public affairs and policy mandate to raise awareness of the organization, its mission and impact with Parliamentarians, the federal public service and key stakeholders. The incumbent will develop digital campaigns and seize opportunities that promote Genome Canada’s national thought leadership in genomics science as well as genomics and society and lead organizational media relations.
You will be given challenging projects, a high level of responsibility and opportunities to further your knowledge and skills. Being an exceptional communicator across platforms as well as having excellent attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently will be essential, as will the ability to work in English and French.
Overview of Responsibilities:
- Develop digital communication plans that supports the organization’s corporate strategy and priorities;
- Develop and execute engaging digital strategy, curate social media profiles validating efforts through monitoring, metrics and paid social ad buys;
- Support the development of high-profile promotional content, including public affairs products, website, the annual report, and other corporate material;
- Cultivate strategic media relations and partnerships, engage in ongoing national and science media outreach, draft story ideas, news releases and media pitches, and triage media enquiries;
- Promote opportunities for Genome Canada’s national leadership in genomics-related science communications, strategic partnerships and sponsorships, and public engagement campaigns;
- Cultivate relationships with external stakeholders to support Genome Canada’s communications particularly with the government and the research community;
- Manage external consultants and suppliers;
- Prepare briefing notes and/or presentations related to active communications activities and initiatives; and
- Stay abreast of emerging issues pertinent to Genome Canada and provide support for developing key messaging.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Post-secondary education in a related field such as Communications, Journalism, Public Affairs
- 5+ years relevant, progressive experience or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and a strategic communicator in all mediums, demonstrating advanced skills in narrative development and compelling storytelling;
- Advanced skills and experience with all digital media tools, platforms, and related metrics;
- Innovative, entrepreneurial, and strategic thinker;
- Current with latest digital communication trends, industry standards and best practices;
- Familiarity with Canadian research and innovation ecosystem and government policy a strong asset; and
- Fluency in English and French is required.
To apply, forward your covering letter and resume (as one document) with the subject heading “Manager, Communications & Digital Media” in the subject line to HR@genomecanada.ca. Please entitle your resume attachment with your first and last name. Closing date for priority selection is June 10th, 2020, however we will continue to accept resumes after this date until the position is filled.
Individual accommodations due to a disability are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, religion, ethnicity, gender, disability, citizenship status, marital status, actual or perceived sexual orientation.
Genome Canada is committed to creating an inclusive environment and building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We value diversity and recognize that experience comes in many forms and skills are transferable. Please view this description as a general overview, but not a mandatory comprehensive list. If you feel passionate about our efforts and believe that you have the skills to contribute and lead in this role, apply!
We thank all interested parties; however, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.