Strategic Communications Advisor – Kingston Health Sciences Centre
Communicators – there has never been a better time to make a life-changing difference for the communities we serve in health care. Join our team and help us keep everyone in our Kingston Health Sciences Centre community informed, inspired and engaged through this challenging time, and always.
Reporting to the Director, Strategy Management and Communication, the Strategic Communication Advisor works with people at all levels of the organization and external stakeholders to provide strategic communications advice to KHSC leaders, design and implement communications plans and to develop engaging, high-quality content across a variety of platforms that will inform our audiences, help the organization build its brand and achieve its strategic directions.
In this role, you will provide strategic solutions and tactical support for communication projects, contentious issues and large-scale change initiatives that have organization-wide impact. You will also provide general corporate communications counsel to fellow Strategy Management and Communications team members, as well as others who work, learn and volunteer at KHSC – from the Executive Team and the Board of Directors, to frontline clinical and support staff. In this capacity, the role provides important leadership, innovation and value to the organization and various other health care stakeholders, enabling strategic, high-impact communications.
Within this role the employee is accountable for living the organization’s values and contributing to the delivery of the Kingston Health Sciences Centre’s strategy. As an employee, one must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for actively promoting and supporting patient- and family-centered engagement and care in all we do.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITES & DUTIES:
- Advise KHSC leaders, executive team and regional partners and provide strategic communication planning for a variety of projectssuch as change management activities, crisis communications, contentious issue management, internal projects;
- Engage with KHSC leaders, partners and teams on development and delivery of communication plans that support the strategic goals of the organization, including fostering a positive, dynamic healthy workplace, managing reputational issues and supporting corporate projects and change management initiatives;
- Manage a variety of complex and innovative communication projects from inception to completion;
- Lead communication programs in support of the overall corporate strategy and specific corporate initiatives and programs;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the annual communications plan in accordance with approved annual corporate plans;
- Plan and develop special events including media events.
- Identify interesting and newsworthy content through conversations with internal departments and external health care partners that
will inform KHSC’s diverse audiences and engage them with life
at our health sciences centre;
- Identify content by staying on top of industry trends, government news and changes, and developing strategic partnerships;
- Support the organizational editorial strategy by writing, editing and designing for a wide variety of print and electronic communication vehicles such as our newsletters, external web news posts, e-blasts, social media posts, speeches, media releases, and blogs;
- Communicate hospital strategy and successes by developing materials such as the Annual Report to ensure stakeholders are engaged and aware of the organization’s role, achievements and activities;
- Reinforce our corporate mission, vision, values and initiatives through written and visual storytelling to guide and influence employee awareness, understanding and engagement.
- Execute tactical communications programs on behalf of the organization including contentious issue management, media relations, internal communications, digital media management, newsletter production, government and community relations and strategy development;
- Plan communication projects, coordinate the production of collateral materials in collaboration with the Digital and Creative Communications Advisor. Contribute to the development and maintenance of
communication policies and procedures;
- Conduct research to support the development of complex, audience-targeted engagement programs;
- Support the creation and delivery of innovative presentations, briefing notes and planning documents for KHSC leaders and executives;
- Ensure KHSC’s communications meet legislative requirements;
- Develop measures for communication effectiveness and provide timely analysis and reporting;
- Keep abreast of industry best practices and integrate them throughout the organization by participating in and facilitating corporate discussions;
- Advocate for and educate clients on best practices for communications in their own environments.
*NOTE: The above duties are representative but are not to be construed as all-inclusive.
- University Degree or equivalent plus specialized training in communications, public relations or journalism at the College level or equivalent preferred
- 5 years of experience in a highly disciplined communication environment
- Excellent and versatile writing skills, writing and editing to CP style
- Strong interpersonal skills, including consulting, collaboration, diplomacy, tact, listening and analytical skills
- Knowledge of the news business, digital/social media landscape
- Knowledge of the health care field or experience in a complex, public-sector work environment
- Ability to plan, develop and follow strategic corporate communications plans and execute tactics in a corporate, public sector health care environment
- Current with industry trends, innovations and best practices in strategic communication’
- Strong computer and communication technology skills
- Excellent ability to manage multiple priorities, meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Ability to work with a high degree of efficiency with various types of work stations (PC and MAC) as well as various types of software such as MS Office and Adobe Creative Suite
- Knowledge of web, content management and social media technologies